Sunday, October 18, 2009

One Last Thought On Keller's Book (Maybe)

One last thought on Keller's "The Reason for God" book (maybe). Keller concludes his book with another thought that gave me pause. On pg. 237, Keller includes an explanation on "How does one become a Christian". As someone who has been a disciple of Christ since I was a young boy, I admit that I have really examined my salvation over the last year or two. As the apostle Paul calls us to "examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith", I have truly been examining myself (over and over again). I have read books, read the gospels, listened to sermons and podcasts, and had conversations with friends and family. All in an attempt to shore up my understanding of the gospel and to make sure that I have truly received it and been converted.

On pg. 237 Keller extends some advice to people like me that struggle with the salvation assurance. Keller states the importance of seeking God, of understanding the need for repentance, the need for a Savior. These are all truths that I believe and confess. However, at times I don't "feel" close to God. I don't feel his presence. I don't always feel "saved". I worry or fear that I am a nominal Christian who is just kidding himself. So, what's a person to do who feels the way I sometimes do? What is the answer to this perplexing question?

According to Keller, I've been praying for God to help me find Him. I can't count how many times I've prayed that prayer. However, when was the last time I prayed for God to come and fine me? For a Christian, it isn't that we came to God's grace and sought him out, but that God and his grace sought US out! If it weren't for God's grace and his presence and calling in my life, I don't believe I would even know that I was a sinner apart from God at one time. I wouldn't even know that I needed Him. But, I do know these things. For God's grace sought me out and saved me, and I pray for that understanding and assurance yet again.

Keller's concludes his book with a story on pg. 240:

During a dark time in her life, a woman in my congregation complained that she had prayed over and over, "God, help me find you," but had gotten nowhere. A Christian friend suggested to her that she might change her prayer to, "God, come and fine me. After all, you are the Good Shepherd who goes looking for the lost sheep." She concluded when she was recounting this to me, "The only reason I can tell you this story is -- he did."

"God, I want to know you more. I desire for a joy and an assurance of my salvation that only comes from you. I thank you for your grace and your love. I pray that you will reveal yourself to me more and more each day, and that I will know your will and your truth. Amen"

2 comments:

  1. I do believe there are highs and lows in our spiritual life as well as other parts of life. Many of the "mountain top" experiences for me have happened on mission trips or spiritual retreats and at times I have longed to stay in that situation, but that is not reality. Journaling prayer requests and Bible verses given to me have proven to be a powerful record of God's leading and hand upon me and those I pray for. Here is an example: God led me to Proverbs 13:12 at a time when I was praying for you and for a future mate. This verse says "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life." I prayed that verse for you, Mike, knowing that your heart was feeling sick at the possibility of remaining single. Then Ell comes into your life, and I thanked God for her and this longing that was being fulfilled. As life went on, I went on to journaling different requests and other Bible verses that related. I pretty much forgot about Proverbs 13:12 until your wedding day. I decided to keep my quiet time even though it was so tempting just to join family right away in the breakfast area. As I was praying and searching Scripture for a possible word from the Lord, I was led to that verse again that morning. It proved to be such a reminder of God's faithfulness. Love you, MIke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts Bro! I really enjoyed this book as well. In a world and culture where sincerity is the only thing that seems to matter when it comes to belief, Keller gives us words to interact with people without sounding like a religious, Pharisaic, jerk.

    ReplyDelete