Saturday, October 31, 2009

Disputable Matters

For those that know me know that my family and I are still in the process of finding a new church home. We used to live in another community and had the privilege of assisting with a church plant there. We remained in that church home for 3 years and loved it. However, we ultimately decided to move to another community to be closer to our jobs, and have been in the process of finding a church home ever since. Regrettably, this process has grown to be much longer and more drawn out than I had anticipated. One of the frustrating things I've found is how there are so many differences between the churches that we've visited over the last 9 months. We've visited traditional baptist churches, more nontraditional baptist churches, charismatic churches, churches with strong teaching and sermons, churches that focus on worship, and others. After visiting all of these churches, it leaves me always with the thought on which church is God calling my family and I to? And those thoughts always ultimately lead me, probably incorrectly, into the thinking on which church has it right? Who's truly right? At this point in my Christian walk, I can honestly say that I'm very concerned with truth. I have less and less regard for what isn't true, and more and more interest in what is true from God's perspective, and this applies to all areas of my faith and my future church community.

Should we attend a church where the gifts of the Spirit (speaking in tongues, prophesy, etc...) are the pillar of the church's worship or should we be apart of a church where these gifts are seldom (if ever) mentioned? Should we attend a church where new songs are sung and old hymns are still celebrated, or attend a church where the belief is that old hymns have no place in the church of today? Should we attend a church who's driving focus is social justice and serving and showing God's love to others or a church who instills the more direct evangelistic methods? Should we attend a church that embraces women leadership in the church or one that doesn't? Should we be apart of a church whose mission is to grow rapidly and get people in the doors (and as a result, maybe lack a little sermon depth) or attend a church where I will always be taught on Sunday morning like I'm in a seminary classroom?

Now, in all fairness, we've enjoyed nearly all of the churches we've visited, and all of them I believe are truly seeking God's will for their church's mission. I am by no means an expert in the Bible, but I do know that there is a lot of room in the Bible for interpretation and allowing God to speak to us through the Bible. The Bible is God's Living Word, and I believe God uses His Word to teach and grow his disciples as He sees fit. Some believers will be granted the gifts of the Spirit according to God's Word, and God will use those gifts to glorify Him, reach the lost, heal the sick, etc... God will use his Word to equip some to directly share the gospel with their friends and neighbors, while others he will use His Word to shape the direction of a church into loving others through service and kindness. God will use His Word to call some for the first time to church to draw them to himself, and will also use His Word to call seasoned believers to a church that specializes in discipleship and teaching. I guess that is likely part of the reason why there are so many denominations (obviously this discussion is rooted in the protestant church), and so many differences even between churches within these denominations. However, I at times need to be reminded that it is OK for these churches to individually seek God and His Will as they believe He is calling them to do, as long as everything surrounding their church mission and direction is biblical and from God. Additionally, these disagreements between churches and denominations must be done in a respectful and loving manner. (Again, provided that a church is seeking God's will in a biblical way - I would argue that there are churches and denominations that have potentially strayed too far from biblical teachings)

As I was recently reading in Romans, Paul speaks on this topic in chapter 14. Paul uses this chapter to speak about the weak and the strong in the faith and how we as Christians should not judge other believers based on where they are at with the Lord. He also discusses disputable matters and how Christians do not agree on all matters pertaining to the Christian life, nor do they need to.

I think this is an important reminder for the church today. However, it does leave one question - what does Paul, and ultimately God, believe are "disputable matters" that are OK for Christians to disagree on? Christian churches, in my opinion, obviously must hold to the tenets of the Christian faith. However, what are the disputable matters beyond the basics? What is OK to disagree on and what should we be in agreement on? The answer to that question probably only comes from the Lord and is granted to his disciples who continue to seek Him. May we all continue to seek Him as the collective body of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts here. I think if more folks asked these kinds of questions, there'd be less 'shoppers'. Blessings on the search, and rememberm that if you come on the 3rd Sunday of the month, we'll enter your name into the drawing for a new car! Bring a friend and get two entries! He he he . . .

    ReplyDelete