Sunday, October 18, 2009

More Thoughts on Keller's Book

More thoughts on Tim Keller's "The Reason for God" book...

Keller, on pg. 178, warns us believers against the tendency for "Pharisaism". I must admit that as I examine my own life and walk, I do have a tendency for this. Pharisaism, named after the Pharisees in Jesus' day who were a self-righteous group of Jews who Jesus often called out for the sinful, selfish motives.

Keller reminds us of the danger of pharisaism - how these people tend to build their lives and sense of worth on their moral and spiritual performance, and that God owes them salvation for being such a "good Christian". This is contrary to the gospel and is legalistic - for salvation comes through faith in Christ alone. It is not the good works that we do after our conversion that saves us, for we do not earn any righteousness from God for anything that we do. All of our righteousness is granted to us through our faith and relationship with Jesus Christ! When God grants us righteousness, He grants it to us because of what Christ did for us on the cross.

Unfortunately, we see pharisaic (not sure if that's a word :-) ) tendencies all of the time in the church. Sadly, sometimes the pews are filled with legalistic, self-righteous, insecure, politically-driven, and insecure people. People who tear down others Christians doctrinal beliefs because they do not perfectly align with their own. Again, sadly, I confess that I am prone to these tendencies and am need or repentance.

"Please God, forgive me for the times I act like a Pharisee. Holy Spirit, change my heart into a heart like Jesus'. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment